1.2.13

House numbers quilt



At long last the houses stand in neat rows..


with blushing roses hanging over their fence and little sneak peaks of happenings visible through the gaps.


There is a secret garden in the back with many unique plants and unknown trees waiting to be explored..


surely a green mist of adventure for any enthusiastic botanist..


 or a dark wonder of beetles and bugs for naughty neighborhood kids!


For the back of the quilt I used this botanical print called Blythe  by Anna Griffin and added a narrow strip of Heather Ross fabric with tall trees to complete the woodland look. I felt these pink and violet flowers in the back complemented the purple binding. This shot cotton fabric was so nice and soft to work with, I feel like getting more colors.


It took some time to get the arrangement right. I did lot of shuffling on the design wall and concluded that some of the outer strips need to be replaced to balance the look. So I cannot say it is purely improv' pieced ;)


I wanted to keep this quilt relatively simple and without any distractions. So I quilted it with stitch in the ditch through all the seams. 


Some of the center pieces in the blocks are little big, so I randomly stitched around doors and windows with matching threads to avoid any shifting of the batting. It also worked as a nice accent. But not all houses were lucky enough to get this decoration.


 This quilt is about 54" x 67" and made with low loft organic cotton batting inside. So it is light weight and perfect to drag around and snuggle up in your favorite corner :)

Hope you are keeping warm and enjoying hot cups of tea! These days making tea in the afternoon and clinging to the hot cup for as long as I can has become a daily ritual. As you can tell by my lack of postings, I am finishing things at my usual snail pace and this cold isn't helping either :)

Wish you a warm and cozy weekend ( ' u ' )

6 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Such a wonderful neighborhood full of adventures waiting to happen. The colors are fresh and very pleasing. With the cold of Winter I definitely linger over hot tea. Wishing you a cozy day.

Jill said...

Great use of that fabric! Very fun quilt.

Candace said...

I would love to live in that neighborhood, Pratima! All the things I love - unique houses, secret gardens and botanical joys! What a wonderful finish! Hope you stay warm and cozy!
Cheers!

Sujata Shah said...

Pratima,
This quilt is gorgeous! I love how soothing these pictures are. I see you have been busy in past couple of months. Your personality flows through every word you write.
Hope you are staying warm and comfy too!

Nanette Merrill said...

The quilt turned out fabulously. I love the minimal quilting, too. It accents the design of houses. It doesn't overwhelm. And the backing is incredible. Perfect for the user. Another sweet gift. You think of others and that is so impressive.

elnorac said...

Oh, your quilt is marvelous! And your writing style seems like your "real" voice, like you're showing your personality. Not everyone can write like that. So happy to have found you!