13.2.13

spring bag

While the outside is grey and cold, inside of our sewing room warms our hearts with cheerful colors. However bleak the day might seem it is too easy to find comfort in creating pretty things.. especially it is such a happy feeling to make something for a sweet friend.


It is never too early to prepare for spring, so I picked this beautiful Lecien print full of purple blooms to make a spring bag for her. I opted for these simple green handles as their fresh color reminded me of first leaves of the season.


This bunny with its floppy ears looked so cute that I had to use it for the pocket. Instead of a square pocket like the pattern suggested, I thought a chubby pocket with rounded corners suited this bag well. I sewed the handles onto the bag by hand, but the stitches didn't look very neat on the inside. So I added these blue linen patches with tiny dots using a simple running stitch.

For attaching the bag handles I used a sewing thread that is specially made for this purpose. This thread is 100% polyester and is very strong but still thin enough to go through the holes in the handles. It comes in lot of colors so we can choose a matching color.  I got them here if you are interested.


The pattern didn't suggest any kind of closure. So I attached this 'sew-on' magnetic snap with an improvised buttonhole stitch.  I wanted the inside of the bag to be as fun and practical as possible. So I also added a tag with a linen tape to the side to hang keys etc. But it doesn't show in the picture.

I hope my friend gets good use out of it during her outings in spring and summer and every day is a nice day for her ( ' u ' )

~ Pattern is "Soleil pin-tuck shoulder bag" designed by Miho Takeuchi.

I got this pattern when we visited New England Quilt museum long time ago from the museum shop.  It was a pleasant surprise to see that they carry a small selection of patterns and sewing supplies from Japan. I enjoyed browsing through their shop and also loved their selection of Japanese fabrics. If you are in Lowell anytime, it is worth a visit.

Thank you for stopping by! Have a beautiful day!  * v *

5 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Lucky friend. I love the pleats on the bag front and the handles are perfect. What a terrific idea to hide the handle stitching. I have used such handles and they do require the sturdy thread. Now if only Spring would be here!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

The bag is amazing. So darling. I always smile at your attention to detail. You add the smallest touches to everything to make it perfect. I love the bag. The fabric is wonderful and the green handles are perfect. It all says spring. That little pocket is the best! I've had trouble attaching handles in the past so your tips were good for me.

Candace said...

What a gorgeous bag, Pratima! Your friend is going to be just tickled when she receives it! I love the green handles and all your sweet details!
Cheers!

Pamela Kieffer said...

This is a clever bag. Unusual with the pleats.
I went to the New England Quilt museum years ago. I was very dissapointed, only very modern quilts n display that month. I guess I expected something traditional. Pam

Ann Champion said...

What a darling purse! Your attention to detail is fantastic. Your friend is going to love this purse and I'm sure she'll smile every time she peeks in there and sees that bunny pocket. :)