12.4.11

trips around the world

I had to travel to India unexpectedly at the end of February and just returned. I missed visiting my friends here in the blog land… hope you have been well and enjoying the slightly warmer temperatures while eagerly waiting for the spring buds to bloom.

To make up for my long absence, I wish to take you on another trip with me not just to India but to many beautiful places around the world.
Hope you’ll enjoy this ride (' v ')


Paris pastries, Eiffel tower, nosegay and parasols.


German cars, oak, beer mugs.


Indian maharaja (king), a cuddly bear, sparkling elephants and camels.
Chickens used to run wild in our neighborhood digging in everyone’s gardens, annoying elders & amusing kids… and Kashmiri apples that we loved so much!


Egyptian cats (wearing their best blue bows for the occasion), desert sky, urns, pyramids, gods & goddesses.


American baseball, snowman, empire state building, cowboys, Wizard of oz (did you spot Dorothy in her red dress?)
I had to include tulips too as they are one of the first flowers we see with the arrival of spring in Boston public gardens.


Russian ballerinas, matryoshka dolls, snowfall, St.Peters burg.


London eye, changing of the guard at Buckingham palace, cups of tea, English rose.

England is something I was able to portray as close to real life as possible as we lived there for a short time. It brings back memories of gray melancholy days which were perfect to cuddle up on the bed with Jane Austin novels, our day trips to London on weekends and Beatrix potter’s most famous characters, mother goose and Peter rabbit.


Dutch windmills, milkmaid, tulips, clogs.


Burro (donkey), Papel picado (Mexican folk art of paper-cutting), corn fields, cowboy boots and a farm.
(sorry for a blurry picture)


Italian tiles, Vatican, olive tree, pizzeria and leaning tower of Pisa.
I added these flowing purple bouquets to the block as they reminded me of fields of grape vines in the countryside.


Japanese Chrysanthemum, kimono clad women, lots of cats in the streets and side walks.
Japan = all things cute. So I was tempted to use this kawaii fabric with cute teddy bears on it.

Kalyan and I have many fond memories relating to Japan. Me, mostly through Japanese fabrics and craft books I so adore and stories of the land that I heard from Kalyan - he worked in Japan earlier in his career and is so touched by the kindness of Japanese people.

While I was in India this past month I got to admire Japanese dolls at my in-laws place again, which Kalyan brought back from Japan. Some of them were farewell gifts from his friends.
The delicateness that comes through in everything they do is only a reflection of their gentle souls. It is painful to think of the calamity surrounding them. We hope the dark clouds disperse soon and everyone feels safe.


Hawaiian gold fish, Hula dancers, ocean waves, pineapples and hibiscus flowers.

…there is one more secret place that I think we will have the most fun yet. But after all the globetrotting we did, Hawaii seems to be the perfect spot to rest our tired feet first… enjoy the ocean waves and tropical sun… see you tomorrow (' u ')

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh I want to see the entire quilt. This is certainly the most fun Trip Around the World I've been on. :o) I've lived in Japan and Hawaii so many fond memories. Glad you're back...you've been missed.

Martha said...

I love this Pratima, and I agree with Stephanie -- it's such a clever idea for a Trip Around the World quilt. I recognize a lot of those cute fabrics -- you must have been collecting them for a long time. How big is this quilt? It must be enormous, or those patches are really tiny. How long did this take?

Sujata said...

Pratima,

Your friends are going to cherish this quilt forever. Looks like you have poured your heart into this quilt. The colors are as soothing and gentle as your words.
I love reading your posts. I have missed you.. Welcome back, my friend!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Really love how you used fabric to demonstrate countries. How ingenious. You're such a smart clever girl. I adore this.