23.10.10

Freda's flowers

A friend was visiting from India and they are expecting a baby in December. Luckily, I was able to finish this quilt and give to him only a day before he was returning home.

I couldn’t resist the temptation to doodle around the flowers in the border. I’m so glad that they lured me in as that first unsure step is out of the way. I’m looking forward to trying more things in free motion quilting.

The backing is an old fabric by Fabri-quilt. And the binding is ‘Look and learn’ by American Jane. Thank you Nanette, for this beautiful pattern!

While we were in New York, we visited Gray-line linen shop in the garment district. They have a wide selection of linens that are mostly priced at $8 per yard. I got a yard of each of these fabrics. They were very helpful and friendly. I would love to visit this shop again if we go to New York city.

And I did make a quick trip to Purl soho… I just kept running my hands on their Liberties and couldn’t believe how soft and sweet they were! I didn’t have the heart to cut into any of them… instead contented myself with some Sashiko thread and these quilting needles. I haven’t heard of these needles before and I'm curious to see how they work.

Happy weekend! ( " u " )

7 comments:

Sujata said...

Pratima,
Your quilt looks beautiful! That is something to have a gift finish just in time. Our niece's daughter was born two weeks ago and I am still not finished with her quilt! I like the free-motion quilting you have done.
I would love to hear more about your experience with these new needles. I also wonder they can be used for hand quilting with pearl cotton thread!
Linen looks yummy. What are you going to make?

Em said...

Very feminine and beautiful, Pratima! Thank you for sharing. Hope you are well, Em

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh you did such a besutiful job! I love the fabrics you used. Great linen too!

Martha said...

It's a lovely quilt, Pratima -- the fabrics are beautiful and your free motion quilting looks perfect in the border. I can hardly believe this is your first attempt.

Thanu said...

Quilting looks lovely Pratima. It enhances the beauty of the gorgeous quilt.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Oh it is wonderful. Lovely and perfect. The binding sets it off. I love linen and I love Purl. How great you got to go there.

Belinda said...

Great quilt girl!!! Your fabric selections are lovely and I can see a peek at your quilting too!