19.3.14

scrapitude quilt top



Quite a contrast to the previous quilt, isn't it! I doubt if I even know names of some of the colors that are here. This is my first time doing a mystery quilt. It was fun digging into scraps and sewing them without a care., not having any control over the process or expectations for the outcome was refreshing.


If there is any rule I followed, that is to place complimentary colors next to each other. I wanted to give this quilt to a friend and her 6 year old boy. I thought he will find the colors more attractive like this. I hope they will get lots of giggles from the cute prints in the blocks. I am also picturing them sitting side-by-side wrapped and warm, reading storybooks on lazy weekends.


I got a little confused with the diagonal rows and had to stop and think twice while sewing the corners and even did some seam ripping before I got it right. But I love this triangle border that came with the diagonal setting. Whatever fabric I tried for the outer border made these triangles disappear. So I went with a white print. I like how the crawling bugs, busy bees and floating clover leaves pick up the bright colors in the quilt.


I am not sure when I will baste this quilt top, it is big (83" x 83") which is making me nervous, though it would be nice to finish it soon and send it to my friend.

Charlotte creates amazing quilts mostly out of scraps.. Scrapitude is one of those gems. Sandy did an interview with her sometime back, she talked about the way her scraps are organized and gave handy tips for using them in quilts. This interview along with other podcasts Sandy recorded earlier on this topic are here. A grateful thanks to both of them for this memorable experience and a beautiful quilt that came out of it. 

Everyone's quilts in the flickr group are turning out to be so different from each other and wonderful.. adding to the excitement, Sandy and Charlotte are planning to start another mystery quilt-along in January next year. I hope I don't have other commitments around that time, this is too good to miss. ( " x " )

8 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think you found the perfect border to frame this beauty. I absolutely love scrappy and all of the quilts on the flickr group are so different. You have a very fun scrap bin! A very special mother and son quilt.

Michaelanne said...

What a LOVELY gift!! It is just beautiful...The border print is perfect...I am JEALOUS of your super stash:)) You make the prettiest quilts!

Martha said...

It's another beautiful quilt, Pratima, and beautiful photos, as well. I always appreciate your fabric choices and these colors are wonderful. Your friends are going to have such a great time exploring and discovering all the interesting prints you've included.

Candace said...

Wow - what a happy scrap quilt, Pratima! Your friend will squeal with delight when she sees it! I almost wish I hadn't given away my scraps - this would be so much fun to make! Isn't it fun to "relive" all those wonderful pieces from other quilts?
Cheers!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Look at you go! You have been sewing like crazy. I think you picked the perfect border to go with these happy fabrics. What a special gift this is for your friend and her son. They will love it!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Look at you go! You have been sewing like crazy. I think you picked the perfect border to go with these happy fabrics. What a special gift this is for your friend and her son. They will love it!

Anonymous said...

this is a GORGEOUS piece - and very different from the quiet linen piece before it.

Anonymous said...

this is a GORGEOUS piece - and very different from the quiet linen piece before it.